First looks are trending in the wedding world! Couples can’t help but sneak-a-peak at each other before the ceremony and soak in a special moment for themselves. But, some couples opt for the traditional option of waiting until the ceremony doors open before seeing one another for the first time on their wedding day. This gives an overwhelming feeling of emotion as they take each other in. So, what’s your decision?
Melissa Alderton Photography
First Look Pros
1. Lose the Nerves – If you’re a very emotional, jittery person then you may want to consider this option. Couples feel more at ease when they get to see each other before the ceremony. They’ll also be less distracted and can share an intimate moment together. Having some quiet time alone gives the couple a chance to reflect on the day and what’s to come. These moments together will be nice as you may not get many of these later on.
2. Special Gifts – If you decided to give each other gifts, this could be a great time to exchange them. Plus, you get to see your significant other’s reaction!
3. More Time – Having a first look allows you more time to take photos together before the ceremony instead of having to take them all after the ceremony. This will also give you more time to interact with your guests during cocktail hour.
First Look Cons
1. Lose the Special Moment at the Altar – The moment of excitement and nerves leading up to the ceremony, building the suspense of seeing one another, and having those church doors open UP to reveal you to your significant other is a moment couples cherish forever. Doing a first look before the ceremony could take just a bit of this emotion away.
2. Earlier Start – If you have a first look, then you’re going to have to get up earlier. This means hair and makeup will have to begin sooner and can cut into your time to relax before the ceremony. If you aren’t an early riser or prefer to not rush in the morning, then you may want to reconsider having a first look.
3. Could Make You More Nervous – Some couples feel that a first look eases their nerves, but for some it could do just the opposite. The pressure of having the perfect first look expression for your photographer, videographer, or even nearby wedding party watchers can be stressful and overwhelming.
Ultimately, we support whatever the couple decides to do. Doing a first look or waiting to see each other at the altar, either way the moment will be special for both of you!
** What if one of you wants a first look and the other doesn’t? Well we’ve thought of a couple compromise options for this as well so you and your sweetie can have the best of both worlds!
1. Parent / Wedding Party First Look – We’re a sucker for these types of first looks. When a parent, sibling, or best friend get to see you all dressed up for the first time on your wedding day the moment can be so magical.
2. First Look Without All Accessories – You can still do a first look, but by not having all your accessories on (veil, special jewelry, etc.) you can still surprise your significant other at the altar.
3. First Read / Touch – Have a special, intimate moment together before the ceremony without seeing each other by doing a first reading or touch. Go back to back or be around the corner from each other so you can talk, touch, and listen to each other before your wedding.
When planning your wedding it can be easy to just include a dress, venue, DJ, and flowers to the budget and call it good. But, it’s the little details that many couples forget to include that sneak up on them in the end with a hefty bill. It’s important to know the common wedding charges many people overlook so you can start factoring them into your budget immediately.
Of course, if you hire Witt & Co. Events we’ll remember all these details (and more!) and work them into your budget. You won’t have to worry or stress about any of it. We’d love to help you plan and coordinate your wedding, reach out to us and let's talk!
Another year has flown by and 2019 is only days away! There is a lot to look forward to in the upcoming year. But I can’t say goodbye to 2018 without reflecting on the many amazing moments that have happened for Witt & Co. Events and myself. What a year 2018 has been! I’ve taken the time to sit down and think about the top 5 highlights from this year. This was my time to take a moment and rejoice about all the good things that happened throughout the year (something I recommend you do too!) Although it was hard to narrow the list down to my top 5, these are what I’ve chosen as the best moments from the year:
1. Welcomed baby James! This wonderful baby boy joined the world in June and I could not be more excited to be a mother to this little guy.
2. Met our booking maximum/goal for the year and celebrated the most amazing 15 couples in 2018! I only take a certain number of bookings per year to make sure I give everyone the attention they deserve. *2019 spots are going fast, so make sure you book with me soon!*
3. Witt & Co. Events received the 2018 Couples Choice Award on WeddingWire. This award is to recognize local wedding professionals who demonstrate excellence in quality, service, responsiveness, and professionalism. Winners are determined by reviews from WeddingWire couples. Thank you to all the awesome reviews our amazing couples left for me to receive this recognition.
4. Hired Janae as my social media coordinator! She has been such a big help to me and growing my business!
5. Moved Witt & Co. Events to Neenah. This was the area I wanted to be in with my business and I made it happen!
2018 has been wonderful! Taking a moment to look back and remember the year has made me appreciate so much in my life. Now I can look forward to my next greatest adventures waiting for me in the new year. What are your highlights from 2018?
Hi there! I'm Johanna Wittmann, owner of Witt & Co. Events in Oshkosh, WI. (You can call me Jo!) I love nothing more than creating beautiful events! And of course, my wonderful husband Matt, our new son James, and our furry monsters, Charlie and Scarlett.